Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Step One

Step one in my goal to be more intentional this year is to start with the most important subject; my faith. I, just like almost all Christians, struggle with keeping my faith strong in all things. I've really related recently to one of the stories in the gospel of Mark where the man brings his son to Jesus because he is possessed by a demon.
 The father asks Jesus "But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."
"If you can?" said Jesus "Everything is possible for one who believes."
"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" Mark 9:22-24

Wow. Am I the only one who sometimes feels just like this father? It's so easy to trust God with all the small things in our lives, but do we really actually trust him with the large things? Like why did we have to move to South Carolina? Just throwing that one out there, not like anyone actually feels that way (cough cough). It takes an intentional thought process to let go and let God. Did I picture raising my small family in this particular city? Probably not, but does that mean that God didn't specifically place us here for some reason. Probably not. Pastor Craig Groeschel once said "If God always met your expectations He would never have the opportunity to exceed them." So now, I am intentionally pushing aside the expectations I had for my life and allowing God to lead me where I can be of the most use.

Being intentional with my faith takes me doing my part instead of waiting on God to do His. My sister-in-law introduced me to, what I think, has changed the way I study and pray! I'm calling it my Bible Notebook! 
 It's really just a binder, but it's a pretty one!

The first thing I decided to put in the binder is my new favorite verse, Philippians 4:8. I wanted this at the beginning so as I sit down each day (let's be real) I can read this verse and remind myself to focus on the true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy things in life instead of on what the news station thinks is important.

Next, I have dividers to separate the different sections that I want to focus on.


1. Bible Study, I really do try to find a quiet time every day to sit and read the word of God. As most of you know, I am a lover of books! I felt ashamed as a Christian though, because I have never read the Bible in its entirety (insert shocking gasp). So now I am well on my way to finishing the entire book.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

2. Daily Prayer. This section is the main reason I decided to make this whole notebook. Prayer is one of my biggest struggles. I can never really think of what to say or how to say it. In this sections I have seven sheets of paper with each day of the week labeled at the top. I then picked out a different subject to pray for on each day. For example, on Sundays I am choosing to pray for the leaders in my church. On Mondays I want to focus my prayer on my husband, his job, his faith amd anything else that may come up. This will give me a purpose and an intentional focus for my prayer.

3.Scripture Memorization. Pretty self explanatory.

4.Thankful. This is just to prompt me to pay attention throughout the day and pick out something that I'm thankful for!

5. Sermon Notes. I always come home with a bulletin full of notes (well maybe not full) then end up just throwing it away. Now I have a specific place to write down the things that stick out to me or the things I want to dive into more!

That's it, that's my Bible Notebook! It may be a little much, but I really believe it's going to help me reach my goal of being intentional! Hopefully this gives someone else some inspiration to make their own version. Most ladies don't really need an excuse to go to Target and dig through the dollar section. This whole things only cost $5! I call that a win!

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea/focus on being intentional. I might give it a try :). I might focus on intentionally strengthening current relationships and intentionally building new ones. We have been here since July...perhaps once my crazy January settles down we could coffee...

    ReplyDelete